DEBUG: blog_post
What YOU can do to help EU27 nationals in Wandsworth & Merton
03 Feb, 2021

European Movement in Wandsworth & Merton is working with the EU Embassy in Westminster to help promote the rights of EU citizens to legally stay in their homes after Brexit.

The UK/EU withdrawal agreement gives rights to all British nationals living in the EU and all EU nationals living in the UK. However, these nationals only have a fixed amount of time to exercise their rights.

In the case of EU nationals residing in the UK they must apply for pre/settled status before the end of June 2021. If they fail to do so they face being caught in the uncompromising glare of Priti Patel’s Home Office. The procedure is not automatic, and some rights will change, particularly in regard to families. This is despite the 2016 lie from Vote Leave campaign leaders, including Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Patel herself, that 'EU citizens will automatically be granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK and will be treated no less favourably than they are at present.'

EU citizens living in the UK find themselves in differing circumstances. Many EU Citizens are already very well informed. However, we are concerned for the EU citizens that are not fully aware of the final details of the settlement, and the practicalities for how these details are applied. For example, there are complex issues regarding rights for families. These rights are best explained in someone's primary language, so that no critical aspect risks being overlooked.

In order to help support EU citizens, the EU Embassy has produced leaflets in every official EU language. 

The different leaflets cover a variety of scenarios:

  • General Rights: What you need to know as an EU citizen living in the UK
  • Seniors' Rights: What you need to know as a senior EU citizen living in the UK 
  • Non-EU Rights: What you need to know as a non-EU citizen living in the UK if you have, or had, a family connection to an EU Citizen 
  • Children's Rights: What you need to know if your child is an EU citizen or if your child is not an EU citizen but you are 

To help support EU citizens in your community we are asking you to do three things:

1) Identify areas or events in your community where EU citizens congregate. These might be a school, university department, community centre, European shop/restaurant, community notice board, care home, cafe, library, church, doctor's surgery, language school, community social night or any other facility.

Although some of these venues are presently closed, it's likely that gradual changes to COVID restrictions will allow most to be accessible to the community from March/April.

2) Tell us about these places so that we can order the suitable leaflets, in an appropriate language. Please tell us about these places by filling out this Google form (no account necessary):     

3) Collect the pamphlets once we have ordered them and ask the proprietor of the venue you have told us about whether you can leave them for EU citizens to pick-up.

Please complete the Google form now if you can, but at latest by Tuesday 16 February, so that we can inform the EU Embassy of our requirements.

Thank you for your help with this project, and to European Movement Oxford Region for providing a template for the initiative!

Showing 1 reaction

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.
James Ryder
published this page in Blog 2021-02-03 11:44:28 +0000